It might not be the most compelling of moving tasks, but it could prove to be the most important. Here are what insurances you'll need and how to get the best deals.

Home insurance

Compare insurance** quotes for your new home

Insurance quotes

Move smart with the Zoopla MovePlanner

Tell us a little about your move and we can help you prioritise jobs, find vetted moving services and save time and money – all in one place.

Start your MovePlanner

Tell us a little about your move


In these guides we explain everything you need to know about how much insurance is required when renting your home and when moving your belongings from your old place to the new one.

What type of insurance do I need when moving home?

To keep your belongings safe during the removals process it’s a good idea to check your home contents insurance policy to see if you have cover for 'moving home' and 'items in transit', especially if you own some particularly valuable items.

Even if you hire a professional removals company there's still a chance that things could go wrong, whether it's a pothole in the road causing your boxes to move around and break an item, or a prized possession getting lost in transit.

Ask your policy provider what your home insurance covers, and check if there are any exceptions.

You can learn more in our guide, 'Home insurance: what every renter should know'.

Moving home insurance

If your home contents insurance does not include cover for moving home, you can usually ask to get it added on to your contract for an extra premium.

Some professional removals companies offer one-off moving insurance which is usually charged as a percentage of the quoted removals price.

You can learn more in our guide to securing seamless home insurance cover.

We've partnered with AnyVan to help you find a quote from a professional removals company.

Compare insurance quotes

When moving home, it might seem simpler to stick with your current insurance provider, but it's important to do your research and compare the market first as you could get a cheaper deal by switching.

Get a quote from your current provider based on your new home's details and if any circumstances have changed, and then see if you can find an insurance provider that can beat that price with the same level of cover.

Our home insurance comparison partner, uSwitch can help you compare quotes from a range of providers.

How much insurance do I need?

It's important not to fall into the ‘underinsurance trap’, which is to go for the cheapest possible option but risk having hardly any cover in the event of a theft or fire, for example.

However, there are some insurance options you may not need, so it's important to look at your circumstances carefully. Learn more in our guide: 'Don't fall into the underinsurance trap'.

As a renter, you won't need buildings insurance – that will be the responsibility of the landlord.

You can find out more about the difference between buildings and contents insurance here.